The Master in Public Policy program is the flagship offering of the School. It has been designed by Xavier University in association with renowned global experts to offer a degree of global standards to participants, and to set them on a higher trajectory of professional and academic growth in the public policy arena.
Among its many course offerings across nine existing Schools XUB treats the Master in Public Policy as a defining program for the University and invites the very best students to join the Program that will launch in August 2020. We intend the School to attract many academics and practitioners in the public policy area including elected representatives from Odisha and elsewhere, bureaucrats, administrators, managers and NGO leaders.
Admissions are now open for:
• 2 year full-time Program leading to the award of a Degree. The first year is dedicated to the study of 16 Core Courses listed below. These Courses are delivered over two Semesters. In the second year participants work on a Capstone Project and a Case Study, apart from a Dissertation.
• 1-year full time course for participants with, at least, three years of relevant work experience and who demonstrate the potential for a long-term career in public policy arena. Candidates will complete all class-room based course work and then undertake a project and submit a dissertation.
(A) Core Courses: The MPP Program will deliver the following core courses*, all in the First Year
1st Semester - First Term
- • Introduction to Government, Business and Society: The Policy Making Process
- • Public Policy Analysis and Framework
- • Research Methodology – Quantitative
- • Economic Analysis and Policy
- • Introduction to Public Leadership
1st Semester - Second Term
- • Project Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation
- • Personal Leadership and Communication
- • IT, Governance and Public Policy
- • Business and Public Policy
2nd Semester - Third Term
- • Research Methodology – Qualitative
- • Ideology, Policy and Ethical Regimes
- • Sociology and Analysis of Social Transformation Projects
- • Negotiation and Communication
2nd Semester - Fourth Term
- • Public Finance and Audit
- • Citizenship, Democracy and Institutional Development
- • Policy Implementation Strategy and Executive Leadership
- • Global Context of Public Policy
*(The scheduling of some of the Core Courses could vary due to faculty calendars. Faculty will notify changes if and when they occur)
(B) In the second year, over the Third and Fourth Semesters, students will study electives, a partial list of which is given below. Students will also have the choice of choosing Electives from the other nine schools of XUB subject to approvals.
A partial list of Electives is given below. The School of Government and Public Affairs encourages inter-disciplinary studies and students can choose from scheduled course offerings in some of the nine other Schools of the University as Elective study. Please be advised, however, that acceptance to the courses in other Schools is subject to approval of the dean of the respective school.
Electives at School of Government and Public Affairs:
- • Advanced Methods in Data Analysis
- • Public Policy Impact Analytics/Data Analytics for Public Policy
- • Corruption Transparency and Governance
- • Sustainability and Climate Change Politics
- • Citizenship and International Policy
- • Media and Government
- • Human Rights, International Community, and Global Relations
- • International Business and Government
- • Constitution, Law and Government
- • Democracy, Politics and Institutions
- • Public and Non-Profit Management
- • Problem Solving and Decision Making for Public Policy and Social Change
- • Business and Government Policy
- • Social and Urban Policy
(C) Apart from the study of Electives, students will have to do Project work on the evolution and implementation of Public Policy in a thematic area, leading to a dissertation in the second year. In addition, students may opt for any two of the following learning actions during the second year:
- (ii) A Capstone project
- (iii) Case Study
- (iv) Internship
Please Note: While XUB may facilitate engagement in Internships, it is expected that students will take the initiative to interact with organizations that offer internships aligned with their course objectives and finalize arrangements independently.
(D) Fee Structure:
- Course Fee-First Year: Rs.3,00,000
- Course Fee-Second Year: Rs.3,00,000
- Course Material Per Year: Rs.10,000
- IT Expenses : Rs 10,000/-
- Alumni Association life time membership (one time): Rs 10,000/-
- Career Advisory Services (one time): Rs 20,000/-
- Field Learning Exp. Per Year: Rs 10,000/-
- Refundable Deposits : Rs 20,000/-
- Total Program Fee: Rs.6,80,000
- Room Rent 1st year (single seated): Rs.40,000/-
- Room rent 1st year (Double seated): Rs 29,000/-
- Room Rent 2nd year (single seated): Rs.40,000/-
- Room Rent 2nd year (double seated): Rs.30,000/-
- Student Residence Administration fee per year: Rs 12,000/-
(E) Course Scope:
- - In coursework that is designed with inputs from leading Public Policy schools across the world, you will be given an understanding of public policy that is as exciting as it is rigorous.
- - Faculty with deep-domain expertise in the Public Policy arena, global experience and committed to equipping you with the best tools.
- - Public policy professionals are in great demand in all industries as awareness among people rises and regulatory mechanisms become sacrosanct in an era of transparency, climate change and human rights activism. These professionals also find coveted slots in NGOs, public sector organizations and academic institutions.
Please go through the FAQ section for better clarity.
*SGPA reserves the right to make any changes in its program, course curriculum and offerings made in this website or in any printed or digital form without notice anytime as per its own discretion and without assigning any reason whatsoever.